Friday, April 24, 2009

Beauty from Last Week

I must say that this week has been absolutely insane for me. How could I have been so relaxed last week and so frazzled this week??? Melissa at the Inspired Room friday linky is today and she asked about our beauty we found this week. I thought I'd share a little bit of my wonderful Spring Break with you.

This is my in-laws quaint 1923 Cottage in Mid Town Mobile Alabama. It is just as precious inside as it is outside. She has just painted the shutters red....they were black...I'm loving the red!
Here is one shot from her AWESOME backyard! This is the waterfall and pond. Note the bubbles in the pond....that would be from my youngest and very mischievous son who decided to squeeze a bottle of dishwashing soap into the fountain!

My husband surprised me while we were in Mobile and took me away for a night to a bed in breakfast in Magnolia Springs! Loving this front porch and wishing I was sitting on it right now! Since we were there on a Monday we had the house to ourselves. David, the owner gave me an amazing tour and history of every square inch of the house. My husband endured along with me...I loved every second of discovering this 110 year old house!


We stayed in the room that had the original bath of the house! Hello this toilet is over a 100 years old!!!! It is called a elephant trunk...see why! I will admit, I was quite intimidated by it at first. Would I break it? When I pulled the chain would it just come off in my hand?



Clog it? No way...this baby is how they should still be built! This picture does not do the "hole" justice...it is huge! I bet it has never been clogged...seriously! Why have we shrunk the "hole" down so much??? I have 3 "men" in my house...we are clogging constantly in NC. Do you think the toilet plungers companies have anything to do with this. They must be making a killing with these new models.
By the way, my husband thought I was so strange taking pictures of this. But, I knew I was going to have to share this with you all!

Have a blessed weekend!


9 comments:

Becky K. said...

I have got to paint my shutters...thanks for the reminder. I have wanted to do it for more than a year now...

The toilet...what can I say. Funny.

Unknown said...

How fun! Sounds like you had a great time. I love Mobile, except during Mardi Gras - too many crazies (well crazier than I am)!

Have a great day!

Decor To Adore said...

Sign me up for this toilet! I would love to put the plunger away. :)

Please stop by and enter my 200th post giveaway.

Georgia Girl said...

LOL...funny post but another thing you may want to know...I work in a lwayers office and am downtown with old plumbing...well the plumber tells us not to use Charmin...it is the worse thing to use for toilets now a days...he said cottonalle is really good brand. Anyway love your blog!

{darlene} said...

hahahaha. those lousy toilet laws have ruined everything. now we waste 3x as much water on triple flushes. Who ever even heard of a triple flush, anyway???

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

Blogging makes you take photos of odd things sometimes. How else are you going to show everyone!!

Thanks for stopping by...good luck!

~Kim

From the Old InkWell said...

Your in-laws home is gorgious!!! LOVE that cottage look!

Your blog is so cheery. I'll be visiting more often!

Have a happy Sunday, Marsha

Dumbwit Tellher said...

What a beautiful home your in-laws have! Love your story about the toilet. I remember those, & boy did they get the job done. I think any of us who have men in our household know exactly what your talking about. It is defiantly 'mother' humor!! Love it.
(:

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Thanks for giving us the hole ( mean WHOLE!) tour! LOL!

I love your in laws house, those shutters are adorable red! We need a tour INSIDE! :-)

our new house has those crazy triple flush and a plunge toilets. WHY? I am used to the older houses that WHOOOOSSHHHH in one flush. And you know what? I checked our water bill when we moved out and found that we used LESS than the average amount of water at our house. Even with FIVE OLD FASHIONED ONE FLUSH TOILETS! So there. :-)

Thanks for sharing your week!